Monday, April 28, 2008



A bloody Sunday in Philadelphia
By Sam Wood

Five people were killed Sunday in Philadelphia bringing the death toll for the year to 101. Last year there were 131 homicides to date, police said. At least eight other Philadelphians were seriously injured in violent assaults.

The homicide victims included a 66-year-old man kicked to death at a North Philadelphia gas station and a 15-year-old boy killed in an apparent drive-by shooting in Frankford.

The first victim was shot down before last call at a North Philadelphia night club.

Police were called at 1:45 a.m. to Charlie B's Bar and Grill, on the 4900 block of North Broad Street in Logan, and found a man with a gun shot wound to his head. Marcus J. Davis, 37, was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center where he was pronounced dead 15 minutes later.

Investigators found a second man who had been critically injured in the same bar shooting about a block away. The 28-year-old victim had fled with a bullet in his back and collapsed near 15th Street and Widrim Avenue. He was taken to Einstein where he was reported to be in critical but stable condition, police said.

At 2 a.m., a gunman opened fire at a South Philadelphia bar after arguing with patrons "over a common female love interest," police said. No one was killed, but four men were wounded at McDaniel's on Two Street, a bar near Snyder Avenue Police charged David DiPrimo, 24 of South 11th Street with aggravated assault.

Shortly before 3 a.m., police were called to the 6800 block of Limekiln Pike in West Oak Lane and found a man dead on the street. Tyrone Miller, 43, had been shot three times in the face and chest. He was pronounced at the scene. Police have no motive or suspect in the slaying.

At 4:02 a.m., officers on patrol spotted a woman kicking a fallen man in the head at a Sunoco gas station on the 5000 block of North Broad Street. Louis Campbell, 66, of Feltonville, died at 5:25 a.m. of injuries received in the beating. Nicole Wilson, 26, of Olney, was arrested and charged with murder. Wilson, who has previous convictions in assault and theft cases, apparently argued with Campbell before the altercation became violent, police said.

About 1:30 p.m., housing police in West Philadelphia were tipped to a shooting at a Busti Avenue apartment complex. When they arrived, investigators found resident Robert McNair, 48, dead in the lobby of multiple gunshot wounds. Detectives have identified suspects but have made no arrests in McNair's killing.

At 5:49 p.m., police dispatchers sent officers to Frankford to investigate a report of a shooting. Police found Kalis Leslie, 15, of Southwest Philadelphia unresponsive near the intersection of Cambria and Amber Streets. Leslie was rushed to Temple University Hospital where he died of a single gun shot wound to the chest.

Police found a second victim at the scene, an 18-year-old man, and took him to Temple where he was in critical condition this morning with gunshot wounds to his chest and shoulder.

At 10:25 in South Philadelphia, a 21-year-old man was shot once in the head on the 1800 block of McCain St. Medics hurried the man to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where this morning he was in stable condition.

The city remained relatively quiet overnight until 6 a.m. this morning.

A 48-year-old man called police at 6:05 to say he had been the victim of a home invasion. He was standing on the 1500 block of West Allegheny Avenue when a man approached, pulled a gun, and forced the victim back into his house. The gunman tied the man down with phone cord and fled with $500 cash, jewelry, credit cards and $5,000 worth of merchandise, police said.

No comments: